Sunday, August 2, 2009

Joseph's First Year


Because my children were born 12 months and 20 days apart, we always have their “big” parties together, but on their actual birthday, we have a smaller family party for just them. On Joseph’s first birthday, Sammy and I gave him his gifts while big sister was napping so he could open them without her “help”. It was a sweet day and we marveled that it had been an ENTIRE year since he was born. “Can you believe it’s been a year,” we asked each other repeatedly.

To be honest, I had just completed the most difficult (yet wonderful) year of my life. In hindsight, I recognize it had also been a year of countless realizations. Realizing that sleep can be far more valuable than following expert advice… Realizing that at times, being practical is a necessity rather than an option… Realizing that sometimes surviving IS thriving… Realizing that God’s grace is like manna; He only gives enough for that day, that hour, that moment…

As we celebrated Joseph, inwardly I was celebrating all of us for making it. We did it!!! Actually, GOD did it. And to this day, I am unspeakably grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment