April 15, 2004. Breanna’s first birthday. Much had changed since the day of her birth… As is true with most babies, her first year was truly a year of firsts: first smile, first laugh, first steps, and first words. I had many firsts that year as well: first Mother’s Day, first time to be called Mama, first experience with MOM GUILT…
But that year, our little family experienced much more than those typical firsts: including a big move, a big career change, and a BIG surprise. On Breanna's first birthday, I was days away from delivering baby number 2!! It was an eventful twelve months.
Of course Breanna has no memory of her first birthday party, but I will never forget it. We opted for a small guest list. It was just the three of us. She opened her presents, we went out to dinner and when we came home, she enjoyed her very own birthday cake, followed by a much needed bath.
And I couldn’t help but help but feel a little sad. I knew that Breanna was about to have to grow up a lot faster than any of us were ready for. I wished that I could warn her… Prepare her in some way. But, for that one day I chose forget about my concerns and fears of the days ahead and celebrate my little Breanna turning 1.
No comments:
Post a Comment