My
childhood memories are filled to the brim with my grandma. Countless
sleepovers. Homemade, iron skillet
breakfasts. Sunday dinners. DAILY phone calls. Hers was the first number I’d ever memorized.
I adored her.
I
remember being pressed up against her terrycloth apron as she cut cantaloupe
with her antiquated, black-bladed knife.
I
remember leaning on her hip as she loudly sang, Oh Victory in Jesus and Love
Lifted Me in the pews of this very church.
I
remember chewing Freedent gum with her, her favorite because it didn’t stick to
her dental work.
I
remember her silver thimbles and watching her meticulously craft her
needlework.
I
remember she only had one children’s book in her house, Mercer Meyer’s Just for You. She read me that book every time I asked her
to, most often as I was snuggled next to her silk nightgown before bed.
I
remember telling my mother that Grandma was my favorite person…
Many
of you know that I was adopted into this family as an infant. All
adoptees have moments when they silently question if they are truly loved
and accepted by their family. But I never once questioned that with my
grandparents and certainly not with my grandma.
I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she loved me as much, if not a
smidge more, than her biological grandkids.
She
only confirmed this to me on multiple occasions throughout my life. When I had my daughter, we were discussing
who she may have gotten her curly hair from.
As my grandma started listing off her relatives, I interrupted,
“Grandma, I’m adopted!” She laughed as
she said, “You know, I don’t even think about that. You’re
just like us. Personality, your coloring, height… circumference.” We both laughed and laughed. God made
me to be her granddaughter. We were perfectly compatible in every way.
I
was in kindergarten when my grandma embarked on her first missionary journey to
American Samoa. She was 70.
I
vividly remember weeping, no wailing,
at the airport as we saw her off. I’m
sure I made quite a scene. My heart was
broken. Grandma was such a huge part of
my daily life that I just couldn’t handle the thought of her being that far
away for so many months. While in Samoa
she taught school and shared the love of Christ with children there, who by her
description, were underprivileged, under-loved, and many, physically abused.
She loved teaching. As I pursued my degree in elementary
education, we spent hours talking over every detail of what I was learning,
what my lessons were, classroom management… You name it. Her soul lit up as she shared countless
stories with me about her decades in the classroom. I loved every minute of it.
She
was born to teach and God used her gift for decades, and in numerous countries. Her passion for Christ and for teaching
consumed the next 10 years of her life following that tearful day at the
airport, and we had to share Grandma with the world. And I mean that. Literally, the world… Samoa, Thailand, China, Harlingen, TX and even
Latvia. We hated not having her near
everyday, but gosh, were we proud of her.
And even though she traveled as much as she did, I still feel like she
was always near. I don’t know how else
to explain it, but she just was…
My
life changed dramatically when I was 12 as my parents’ marriage
disintegrated. It was a horrible, drawn
out, devastation for my whole family, including my Grandma. And she was so strong for me. A pillar of stability, bringing peace to my turbulent
world.
Grandma
was no stranger to hardship. I’ve always
loved and revered my grandma but the older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve grown in
my respect for her. She was a working
mom before that was even a thing. She
earned her degree while teaching full time and carrying the full weight of all
the household duties and care for her children.
I honestly don’t know how she kept so many balls in the air – parenting,
cooking, cleaning, teaching, college, all while being an active member of her
church and maintaining close relationships with her dearly loved siblings. And she did it all with excellence.
Another
aspect of my grandma that I’ve grown to respect more and more over time was the
grief and loss she’d endured. She gave
birth to four children within about as many years. Her first daughter died before birth, but
late enough in the pregnancy that my grandma had to deliver and bury her. Her
oldest son, John, died in a motorcycle accident when he was just 16. And, my
grandfather passed away months after I was born… I knew all of these things my whole life, but
the gravity of them didn’t sink in until I had a family of my own. So much loss yielded so much strength and
depth of character.
Until
her dying day, she was so smart. Sharper
mentally than I’ll ever be. A prolific
reader. Over the last decade, she
gradually lost her eyesight to macular degeneration. She had a machine that magnified her books so
she could continue to read and must have spent a thousand hours in front of
that screen. Reading was a part of who
she was. After my beloved maternal grandfather,
who’d suffered severe hearing loss, passed away last year, Grandma told me,
“Joe is hearing with his own ears right now.
When I get to heaven, I’m going to read with my own eyes.” And, I know she is!
Grandma
is the last of my grandparents to go to heaven.
I don’t take for granted how blessed I am to have enjoyed my grandma for
the past 33½ years. I truly believe that
my grandparents’ love was the closest I’ll know of God’s love in this
life. Recklessly unconditional. Overwhelmingly abundant. Full of delight.
Grandma,
you lived a quiet life that loudly displayed the glory of God. You weren’t perfect. You never claimed to be.
But
you were wonderful and fiercely loyal.
Intelligent
and opinionated.
A devoted democrat.
A devoted democrat.
Passionate
and so gifted.
Dignified.
Generous.
Hardworking.
Dependable.
A
woman of conviction.
Beautiful.
Loving.
Faithful.
Honorable.
One
of a kind… My Grandma.
I thank God for you.
Your life has made me, and God only knows how many others, love Him more.
Welcome
Home.
No comments:
Post a Comment