
I bawled my eyes out to Sammy last night. The past few weeks have been miserable for me. Through a series of challenging events and circumstances, I found myself in the midst of old habits and as needy as ever (in a bad way). Ultimately, I needed God to remind me that apart from Him, I can do nothing.
A very wise new friend spoke of how quickly we forget and it really resonated with me. She spoke about how the same people who saw Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead persecuted and ultimately killed the Son of God, and how the Israelites longed for the chains of Pharaoh after God had granted them freedom from slavery. As I heard her say these things, I realized that I was doing the exact same thing.
My natural state of sinfulness is a girl trying to earn God's favor, trying to "fix" myself rather than wholly lean on Jesus' name. I become insecure, paranoid, and just positive that I am the most hated person in the world. The month of June was FILLED with awkward, challenging, discouraging and even hurtful situations. Rather than bringing them to God and letting Him carry my burdens, I tried to carry them alone.
Before I knew it, I was rebuilding the walls that God has so graciously torn down. Vulnerability is impossible for me to accomplish in my own strength. In my flesh, I am very fearful of rejection and abandonment. I know myself too well to see any reason why anyone (including God) would love me or want anything to do with me. Like the Israelites, I was beginning to forget that although freedom is scary, it is so much better than the bondage of fear, insecurity, isolation, people pleasing, emotional eating, anxiety, and self reliance.
The past several days should have filled my heart with joy but because of all of the baggage I was toting around, I found myself feeling so very sad. Last night, God used my precious husband to remind me of the words that I usually say to him! That because of Christ, I am valuable and dearly loved no matter what anyone says, does or thinks about me. He reminded me of the huge victories God had granted over the past few days... I am so frustrating! Was I really in this place again? So inwardly focused that I can't even enjoy the enormous blessings that God has been so gracious to give? Ugh!
"God has chosen the foolish things of this world to shame the wise, the weak things of this world to shame the things which are strong...." This verse almost makes me laugh. I am so foolish and so weak, yet God has chosen ME! Paul says we can boast about our weaknesses, because power is perfected in weakness and Christ's power is dwelling in us!
Perhaps the way I have seen this most in the past six months is through the life of sweet Karis Almy. Diagnosed with a disease called Krabbe, I have watched this unbearably precious baby lose so many abilities that we take for granted everyday. Yet, she is the strongest person I know. Though she is in pain, she rarely cries. And what moves me the most about Karis is that cognitively, she is just like any other one year old, but due to the demyelination of her nerves, she can't use the body God has given her the way I know she wants to. But, she is so content. Her spirit is so sweet, so patient, so joyful. She is so "weak" by the world's standards, but Christ's power dwells in her, and it's unlike anything I've ever seen.
And what perspective that gives me in my struggles. Like Paul (and like Karis), I will be "well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." Lord, help me never forget!
Well this made me want to CRY!! What a precious reminder. Praise GOD that He is sharing the gospel and pointing people back to Himself through Karis without her ever saying a word (hmm.. that sounds familiar). Thank you so much for sharing that Anna. What a beautiful testimony of what the Lord is doing in your heart!
ReplyDeleteAll I can say Is thank you! God Is using me in my Life for sure!!I needed this reminder so much. I heart you=)thankful our new found friendship!!
ReplyDeleteAnna, you have no idea how this has ministered to me. God never ceases to amaze me. I so needed to be reminded of your message!
ReplyDelete